[TowerTalk] More comments on lightning

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] More comments on lightning
From: (Gareth Crispell)
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 16:56:06 -0400
Guy L. Olinger wrote:

> I heard firsthand a story about a ham who had all his computers and ham
> equipment on a long table in the center of the room. When not in use,
> all cords, connections, etc, were rolled up on top of the table. When
> not in use there was six feet of open space in any direction in the
> room.

snip ..

> Massive ground fields under towers work.
> Lightning LOVES trees.
> Ungrounded or poorly grounded conductors from the vicinity of poorly
> grounded lightning attractors create fireballs in the hall and burn down
> people's houses (many years of fire dept. experience to back this up).
>   Here, simply disconnecting lines may guard against induced surge, but
> may provide a path toward the house for a nearby strike on a tower with
> a poorly dissipating ground system. Even grounding both ends would not
> help if the connected grounds were poor.
> Moving toward massive evidence:
> Lightning doesn't strike "porcupines". Any reasonable theory must
> explain why.
> I'm putting up a tower shortly. I intend to put in a large ground system
> as soon as the base is poured. What I don't know is how to measure the
> lightning receptivity of the ground. Any help on this?
> I'm following this thread with great interest. Some posts have bordered
> on incivility. That's sad.
> 73 y'all, and may you never be chased by a fireball.
> Guy.

This was a wonderful post Guy, and I agree with your logic
concerning anecdotal evidence.
My great aunt was sitting in the kitchen of her farmhouse whipping
up some brownies when a softball sized ball of lightning came
rolling in the door. She was sitting on a high stool with 3 metal
legs. The ball rolled between the legs of the stool, made a circle,
and rolled right back out the same door it had entered. My aunt was
unscathed, but it absolutely scared the tar out of her and created a
family ledgned which has been retold countless times at
get-togethers. The only thing for certain about lightning is it's

de ... N1MSV   (gary)  on the marsh

                                              the dawn of the New Age of Man,
     they will abide with us.
     Their glory and fire will burn like