[TowerTalk] > crankup use model

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] > crankup use model
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 10:49:55 -0900
At 11:07 AM 6/10/98 -0700, Mike Meehan wrote:

>How often do you RETRACT the crank up, and for what reason(s). (My permit
>conditions indicate that they should be cranked down "when not in use". Do
>others have this condition?)

Aloha Mike,  Six years ago I received both a zoning variance and use permit
to have a crank up above the palm tree tops --  the supposed height limit
here on the island of Kauai.  I was to have the antenna lower than that,
30 feet,  between the hours of 9AM and 3PM every day,  and could have it
up above that height only a limited number of hours per week during
the balance of the earlier morning and later afternoon hours.  It could be
higher than that all I wanted after "dark".

These were a set of negotiated compromise positions with my neighbors
and the County Planning Commission.

Well,  I complied for several months;  then goy  tired of running it up and
down.  So,  it has been sitting at about 45 or 50 feet,  24 hours per day
the past 3 years or so.  No one has said a word.  They obviously have
become accustomed to it,  have probably forgotten all about the
hours limits.  Anyway,  then it can be run on up,  on occasion,  and all
still remains well.

Just some added food for thought about attempting to circumvent the
permit you HAVE at least received!

73 and Good Luck,  Jim,  KH7M