[TowerTalk] Peripheral ground system

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Peripheral ground system
From: (Dave D'Epagnier)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:44:32 -0600

        Boy, I would think you'd want the ground grid to be as deep as
reasonable because this grid may be dissapating all or part of the
energy from a lightning strike. When I worked as an electrician in
Wyoming on an industrial construction site the designs called for heavy
copper cable ( about 1/2" dia) to be layed for the peripheral ground.
We'd encircle the building with the cable, and cad-weld at right angles
to this cable more cables that would enter the building at various
places to be used as ground connections. As I recall these cables were
about 4 to 6 feet deep in the soil, and about 6 to 8 feet away from the
building foundation.

        -- Dave