[TowerTalk] Re: Vertical?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Vertical?
From: n2cu@buffnet.net (Thomas R. Williams)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 13:26:43 -0400
Steve,

I've been using a GAP Challenger since September until I get my beam and
wires up. I like it so much I'm going to keep it for use on 80m and 40m,
and as a search antenna for the other bands. This antenna works great on
40m and 20m; OK on the other bands. In fact, I almost decided not to put
up the beam, with all the expense associated with it. The only problem I
encountered was that the three 25' counterpoise wires needed to be
trimmed to 19' to resonate on 40m (where they have the only effect).
Mine is guyed with their kit at about the 20' level. I have taken the
antenna down once to change the resonating cap for 80m and had no
problem with the self-tapping screws - just don't over tighten. No first
hand experience with other makes but a friend who owns an R7 added guys
to his because the design has a propensity to snap off at the base
insulator in high winds. Operationally, he is very pleased with it.

73,
Tom N2CU