[TowerTalk] 80 meter yagi at K3LR

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80 meter yagi at K3LR
From: (David Fouchey)
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 14:17:30 -0400
At 01:45 PM 6/13/98 EDT, wrote:
>In a message dated 98-06-13 12:54:28 EDT, writes:
>> Good pictures great site both WEB and antenna farm.   What was wrong with
>>  the M2 antenna?
>     The M2 80M antenna uses a linear loading scheme with copper-weld wire.
>Some of the the wires broke. I had the exact problem with the same antenna. I
>think the copper-weld is too brittle for this application. If it's bent or
>nicked, it'll break. Maybe the wind movement on the elements and the linear
>do with it too. This is a real problem with this antenna requiring expensive
>Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC

Would hard drawn copper work instead, takes nicks a lot better than copper
weld and stands up to corrosion better too. Not familiar withthe
construction so I can't offer more than a cursory suggestion on materials.

(#9 Copper wire is commonly being removed by railroads all over the
country, contact their local communications managment and you might be able
to get several miles for a very low price.)

Dave Fouchey
(Communications Manager at a large Eastern Railroad!<G>)