[TowerTalk] Stacking & Phasing KT34XA's

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stacking & Phasing KT34XA's
From: w6go@quiknet.com (Jay O'Brien)
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 12:16:54 -0700
DavidC wrote:

>Could you please be a little more specific about "the latest 'vent hole in the
>small tubing' configuration"?  Where exactly is what size hole created?

The configuration I am using in my KT34XAs for handling moisture in the
capacitors is the one where the outer, larger, tubing with the caps on
the ends is sealed.  A small hole is drilled into the top of the smaller
tubing which goes through the plastic caps and through the larger
tubing. The hole is placed mid-way in the part of the inner tubing that
is covered by the outer tubing.  The hole is drilled into the top of the
smaller tubing.  I don't remember the size, but I would guess about
1/8".  This provides a vent for the larger tubing out through the end of
the smaller tubing.  Previous configurations were with both tubings
sealed, and later with drain holes in the larger tubing.  Neither of
these configurations were long-term solutions to the condensation
problem.  The new internal venting works fine.  Check with KLM for
upgrade parts.

>OK on using them separately.  If they happen to be pointed in similar
>directions, how much separation is required between the reflector of the
>frontmost one and the director of the reamost to avoid negative interactions?

Answering this question reminds me of trying to nail jelly to a tree.
You "do what you gotta do" and see if it works.  I've fed many different
antennas "in parallel" and I haven't found anything that "didn't work"
as long as they were adequate antennas in their own right.  For
instance, a 6-ele KLM on 20 at 140' and a M2 LP at 100' with horizontal
separation of 200' worked fine on 20, but they were pointed in different
directions to cover different openings at the same time.

>I gather that the 35+ foot separation for single tower stacking and phasing
>was not a typo on their web site?  :-(

That spacing works fine.  Lesser spacings may work.  Twenty will suffer
first with closer spacing.  KLM isn't going to recommend something that
might not work.

Others may have different takes on this, but the advantage to stacked
KT34XAs IN THE SAME DIRECTION is not the small gain advantage, but the
advantage of less fading.  You will "sound stronger" than your
competitors but the absolute S meter reading isn't all that different.
The advantage to running two antennas pointed in different directions is
that you can work two openings at one time in a contest, or point one
antenna toward your competitors so they don't try to take your run
frequency.  The bottom line is that you need as many good antennas as
you can put up, and use them appropriately for the task at hand.

73, Jay
    w6go@quiknet.com