[TowerTalk] Feedlines

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Feedlines
From: (
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 14:32:33 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-15 13:09:04 EDT, writes:

<< All things considered, is Belden 9913F a reasonable choice for the 220'
 run from my house to the tower base and remote switch? The tower will
 have a tribander, and wires for 40, 80, 160. Next possible choice would
 be hardline, if I can get it economically, but connectors pose a small
 problem. The cables must be buried. BTW, most guys will suggest that I
 get scrap CATV hardline, but sources don't seem to exist around here -
 or they have a policy against giving it away. >>

     For a run that long, I think you've crossed the line with RG-8-type coax.
I would opt for a hardline of some sort. Without running the exact numbers,
the 3+ dB or so that you lose is significant. Even if you had to buy new cable
(Heliax, LMR, etc.) and connectors, it would be worth it. Even if it cost you
$700 (a guess), where else could you pick up an additional 3+ dB for that
price? Don't forget that it's on RX too!

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC