[TowerTalk] Lifting a Rohn 25G

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lifting a Rohn 25G
From: (Robert W5AJ)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:17:00 -0500

It took a while to find the excellent write-up on W3GM
in NCI May 1991 but here is a statement in the write-up:

"All of his towers, which include several 100-footers,
fold over at the base with hinge and gin-pole assemblies.
A hand-drill-driven boat winch easily brings his big
antennas down to a height where he can work on them alone."
NCI, May 1991 quote.

I called Gerry on the phone in 91 as I was interested
in the 40 meter beam on 100 foot tower.  Gerry (with health problems then)
said it was 25G and he lifted it all - tower, beam, guys & rotator at once.
high gin pole for lift cable and I seem to recall he said the support cable
in more than one location and guys were in place with 2 sets? connected
to ground supports on starting the lift.

Can anyone that helped or saw the operation of these base hinged towers
tell us more??

73  Robert W5AJ