[TowerTalk] Rigging Coax for Rotation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rigging Coax for Rotation
From: mlowell@noclant.navy.mil (Lowell, Mark)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 98 08:24:16 -0400
Greetings from Gloucester, VA

I have been looking through the archives and haven't seen any guidelines
about rigging the loops in coax when transitioning from the tower to the
mast.

I have two friends with flat-top towers and the coax loops always seem to
tend to bear on the edges of the top plate at some point of rotation. We
are concerned that this will eventually bite through the jacket and
shield. We have glued pieces of split nylon air hose or garden hose over
these edges to help the problem, but I'm sure some of you must have some
better ideas or rules of thumb for making these loops.

In my mind, it would seem that a scheme that applies the least amount of
twisting per unit of coax length would fend off fatigue the best.

In a related matter, what's the best way of attaching the coax runs to the
tower? Are a few turns of good ol' Scotch 33 good enough (If I don't flag
the last turn!)? Does having the shield running so close to another
conductor for so long have any effect on the coax?

Thanks     --...MARK N1LO...--