[TowerTalk] ANTENNA SURFACE AREA VS ROTOR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ANTENNA SURFACE AREA VS ROTOR
From: CATALANO_DENIS_E@hq.navsea.navy.mil (CATALANO_DENIS_E@hq.navsea.navy.mil)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 15:36:10 -0400
     Greetings,
       In preparation for Field Day, I have a few wind loading questions
     for the group.  The HD 73 has a spec of supporting an antenna with a
     max surface area of 10.7 sq ft when it is tower mounted.  Does anyone
     know what the figure is for mast mounted.  For the HAM IV, the figure
     is half the tower mounted spec (15 vs 7.5 sq ft).  I wonder if half is
     the general rule of thumb.

     Last question is, would anyone care to guess what the surface area
     would be for a 15M 6 element monobander on a 38 ft boom would be.
     Estimates are OK.
                       TNX & 73 Denis, W4DC