[TowerTalk] Insurance for tower damage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Insurance for tower damage
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 16:49:25 -0400 (EDT)
I missed all the damage in the several sets of Georgia storms.  I did have
some damage in 1980 with a reported tornado.  I found at that time that the
common household insurance policy covers attached and stand alone structures
differently.  At that time most policies required an amendment to the policy
for stand alone structures (most towers).  Even the standard attached
structure policy was very limited.  The thing that hit you was the
deductible ($500) so my $800 damage was only partially covered.  They also
wanted to depreciate everything from the original price not replacement.
The agent told me if I had more than $1000 damage then this would kick in.

I worked with my agent to get these riders....$10,000 max either attached or
free standing (common for workshops and the like), $100 deductible, and
replacement value.  This cost a whopping $29 more per year!  (Its $42 now
but max has increased to $14,400).

Check you policy now so you won't be sorry!

73, Dave K4JRB