[TowerTalk] Thoughts re: Verticals Data

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Thoughts re: Verticals Data
From: (K4SB)
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 20:21:14 -0700
Jim Reid wrote:

> 6.  Finally,  a couple mentioned that the most gain increase
> I just might experience with adding all 32 additional radials
> would probably be about 5 dB at most.  How would I be
> able to tell the difference with my present method?
> Guess I probably could not,  except subjectively.  I really
> do need to find a calibrated attenuator somewhere for
> it to be worth while to continue this exercise.
> > 73,  Jim,  KH7M

First of all Jim, the ARRL handbook used to carry a precision step
attenuator...They're not hard to build..

Secondly, I wish I could get "about 5 db(i) or (d)?" more from any

And as far as measuring the improvement, get a thermocoupled ampmeter
and place it between the common point of the radials and the antenna.
When you see the current rise as you put out more cables, you'll become
a beliver.