[TowerTalk] Tower Refurbish Advice ?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Refurbish Advice ?
From: (stan)
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 23:10:07 -0400
Sam Hall wrote:

> Hello to all and thanks for reading.
>      I am in the process of refurbishing a Rohn 45 foldover tower and
> am
> looking for a little advice from the "pros".  First, I intend to
> sandblast
> the pockets of rust and then repaint.

sandblasting is scary... may remove the protective hot galvanized
coating in
a large area around rusty spots...

I prepped the tower parts with a table vinegar wash with a 3M
scotchbrite pad.
My table vinegar had a 5% acidity and is available for about 2$ a
The vinegar wash removed rust and other stains nicely as well as
prepared the
surface for the cold galvi paint. Wash once, let it thoroughly dry, then
paint once...

>  I need to know the best procedure for
> repainting.  What kind of primer ??

I never used a primer....

> What kind of Paint ??  Best method to
> apply each ??
>      From previous posts, It seems a "Cold Galvanize" top coat is
> acceptable.  Am I correct on this ??  Don't know anything about the
> type of
> primer to use.

I like the cold galvi paint, I use DAP's galv-a-grip in grey because it
is available in quart cans.

>      Spraying makes for a neat job but seems like a lot of waste. Also
> wonder if I would get the desired thickness of paint.  Is it better to
> apply
> with a brush or mitt??

Lacking a air compressor and paint spraying apparatus, I brush
painted,but others have successfully used a rag, or a mitt.

>      Would greatly appreciate any advice on this project.

My concern is how deeply rust has penetrated and if rust is eating out
tower parts from the inside out..

  Stan, WA1ECF   CApe Cod, MA   FN41sr