[TowerTalk] Could not believe my eyes <--Part II]

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Could not believe my eyes <--Part II]
From: patd@wolfenet.com (Patrick Dayshaw)
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 19:36:20 -0700

As someone who maintains a sailboat with a 50 ft. aluminum mast and fairly
heavy rigging (picture trying to keep a 50 ft. tall soda can erect).  I have
found that "anti-seize" compound (available at Auto Parts stores) seems to
work really well on turnbuckles.  The turnbuckles used in this marine
application are "fine threaded" stainless steel and live in a salt-water
environment.  I suspect the loads might actually be higher than most towers.
(For example the headstay is 7 X 19 strand - 5/8" SS. Towers distribute the
load(s) over multiple sets of guys but I have no "real" data on the
with using the Automotive "anti-seize" than with standard grease.  Over the
last 20 years I have tried both and use the "anti-seize" exclusively now.

By the way I also use a LOOS gauge to check the tensioning on the "standing"
parts of the rig... (no electronics in this "rig").

Just a thought.  Your mileage may vary.

Patrick
WA7VNI