[TowerTalk] Gin Pole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gin Pole
From: kc5ajx@hotmail.com (Rick Bullon)
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 04:14:59 GMT
  Well I have had another set back on my tower project. There is a local
ham who has a gin pole sitting on top of his 110ft Rohn 25 tower. I
heard he got scared when he got it that high and left the gin pole up
there. Figured I could buy it from him at a reasonable price, if I could
caught him at home. Well I finally got a hold of him.
 First the gin pole is not for sell and after he told me about it he
couldn't give it to me. Seems he built this thing out of what ever
scrap pieces of metal he had around the place some pipe some angle iron
some flat steel and some pulleys from who know where.
  One thing I have learned from this reflector is DON'T JURY RIG
Equipment!!! So now I'm back to square one trying to find a ginpole to
get my tower from horizontal to vertical. I decided if I wait till I
have all the pieces it would never get started so I'm goin to erect what
I have to the first guy point then wait till I can afford the guy wires,
turn buckles etc. and a LOOS gauge, then erect some more to the next guy
point etc. I have 40 ft of Rohn 25 and plan to add another 3 sections
for a 70ft tower.
  You may rember me asking about trying to fold over 70 ft of Rohn 25 a
while back. Well you guys have changed my mind on that idea going to go
straight up no fold over here!!
 MY first priority was to get a gin pole a safety belt and either buy
the SB25g from Texas Towers ( fairly local to me about 65 or 70 miles
away) or just sinking a tower section for the base. The only place I can
find that sells gin poles is HRO and it lists for $499.95. If I paid
this for the gin pole and bought a climbing belt, the I beams for the
elevated guy points ( XYL's rule on guys)and ordered the truck and got
the base poured and creted in the I beams I would be busted.
  Is there a cheaper place to buy a gin pole ? a used one would be fine
if it was a commercial made unit and semi local to the Dallas Ft.Worth,
TX area.
 I have asked local hams around here and all I get is "Well so and so
used to have one but I think he sold it " or "Why do you need a gin pole
just put it together on the ground and walk it up". Several of the
towers around here are fold over contraptions that aren't folded over
much and then if they are it is with a hope and a prayer. THe ones that
are done right were done with a gin pole which has been long gone ie
sold after the tower was up.
  This is not going to be a week end project but rather one that will be
done as I can afford it. The tower fund is also the emergency fund thus
the limited funds for equipment and tower pieces.
 Sorry to be so long winded but I wanted to try and cover all the
questions that might come up after I post this. I know I missed
something but this post is too long now HI HI
73
Rick KC5AJX
P.S Yes I have the Rohn catalog so I know what all the specs are :)