[TowerTalk] Gin Pole Rope

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gin Pole Rope
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 07:26:04 -0600
Because Philystran (no "d")  does NOT handle abrasion very well.

I have used 3/8 inch nylon rope to raise / lower heavy masts (>100 lb).
It stretches it pretty tight but did the job.  Surely 1/2 inch nylon rope
would be adequate for raising Rohn 55 sections.  Check with your
rope supplier for the acceptable working loads.

BTW, the standard  Rohn gin pole (EF-2545) is NOT recommended
for raising Rohn 55.  You might want to replace the pole with a heavier
wall to be safe.

FYI,  Rohn 25 weighs 40 lbs/section, R45 weighs 70 lb/section, and
R55 weighs 90 lb/section.

de  Tom  N4KG

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998 23:54:50 -0400 "DavidC" <> writes:
>>While we have the thread going on gin poles lets talk rope.
>>What does the multitude recommend for the rope.  Size and type?
>> -- 73, Richard Thorne - N5ZC (ex KA2DSY, N2BHP, WB5M)
>If Phillystrand is good enough for guy wire, why not gin poles?
>This is a question, not an suggestion.  :-)  73, DavidC  AA1FA

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]