[TowerTalk] Gin Pole Rope

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gin Pole Rope
From: rthorne@arn.net (Richard Thorne)
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 07:41:55 -0500
Thanks for the info Tom.  I already have the pole, but I'm in need of the
pully and clamp.  I have a note into WB0W for that.  The pole is 12' x 2" x
.25" wall aluminum.

All I can say is that I'm glad I'll be the guy on the tower and not the guy
pulling on the rope, HI.

T A RUSSELL wrote:

> Because Philystran (no "d")  does NOT handle abrasion very well.
>
> I have used 3/8 inch nylon rope to raise / lower heavy masts (>100 lb).
> It stretches it pretty tight but did the job.  Surely 1/2 inch nylon rope
> would be adequate for raising Rohn 55 sections.  Check with your
> rope supplier for the acceptable working loads.
>
> BTW, the standard  Rohn gin pole (EF-2545) is NOT recommended
> for raising Rohn 55.  You might want to replace the pole with a heavier
> wall to be safe.
>
> FYI,  Rohn 25 weighs 40 lbs/section, R45 weighs 70 lb/section, and
> R55 weighs 90 lb/section.
>
> de  Tom  N4KG
>
> On Sat, 20 Jun 1998 23:54:50 -0400 "DavidC" <davidc@bit-net.com> writes:
> >
> >>While we have the thread going on gin poles lets talk rope.
> >>What does the multitude recommend for the rope.  Size and type?
> >> -- 73, Richard Thorne - N5ZC (ex KA2DSY, N2BHP, WB5M)
> >
> >If Phillystrand is good enough for guy wire, why not gin poles?
> >This is a question, not an suggestion.  :-)  73, DavidC  AA1FA

> Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
>
> --

Richard Thorne - N5ZC (ex KA2DSY, N2BHP, WB5M)
Amarillo, TX
Home Page: http://users.arn.net/~rthorne