[TowerTalk] WB0W Sheave - problem solved?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] WB0W Sheave - problem solved?
From: (Dan)
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 15:15:42 -0400
Hi folks,
I bought a WB0W gin pole last year, and experienced the same problem with
the flat sheave.  The problem was readily solved as follows.  I took the
sheave off, mounted it on a bolt, and put the bolt into a hand drill.  I
put the drill into a vice (I don't have a lathe).  I used a round file to
cut a nice round groove into the sheave (it took about a half hour of
filing with a sharp file).  It works great.  The friction is much reduced,
and the rope no longer rubs the sides of the housing.
Good luck,
Dan - W4TQ

In a message dated 98-06-21 09:57:10 EDT, writes:

> Funny coincidence, but WB0W was an exhibitor at the Atlanta Hamfest
>  yesterday. I looked over his gin poles, and they certainly appear hefty
>  enough to do the job. One thing I did not like is the pulley at the top
>  is not grooved, but flat. Using maybe 3/4" hemp line would probably be
>  OK, but I wouldn't use than gin pole and any smaller synthetic line.

      Right on, dude. The solid flat sheave is HEAVY plus it allows the
to rub against the side of the pulley body (rooster head). Both are big
minuses in my book. If someone can up with an appropriate sheave, how about
letting us know?

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC

Dan Long (W4TQ)
8035 Tokyo Pt.