[TowerTalk] Clicking? & F-12 antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Clicking? & F-12 antennas
From: mainhart@juno.com (Rick Mainhart)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 22:04:10 -0400
Install the resistors across the point where arcing occurs (in other
words, across the insulator).

The potential down sides are that the potential is downsized! (What a
great straight line ... thanks !!!).

The resistors will keep the arcing from creating carbon tracks across the
insulators, and will help keep your (localized static generated) noise
levels lower.

At amateur power levels, the resistors are a much better cure ... at
higher levels spark gaps are generally used. When I speak of higher power
levels, let's call 1.8 Megawatts at 100 kHz high power! :) The spark gaps
had to be cleaned (remove pits and burned material) after major storms
and had a special gauge to ensure the proper spacing (there is no such
thing as "close enough for government work").

Biggest failure of a spark gap? A 6" lizard crawled across the gap and
knocked the transmitters off the air (the first tripped on the arc to
ground, and the lizard was still burning when the standby transmitter
tried to come on-air. The crew had to shut both transmitters down long
enough to clear the remains off the gap (tough lizard). Life in the
tropics.

73,

Rick, WB3EXR

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998 19:54:54 -0400 "DavidC" <davidc@bit-net.com> writes:

>> Try putting some static drain resistors across the points where it's
>> arcing. 100K @ 2 watts ought to do nicely.
>> 73, Roger
>
>Do you mean across the element ends bridging the insulator?  Or do you
>mean
>from each element half to the boom?  What are the potential down sides
>this?
>
>Thanks & 73, DavidC  AA1FA
>
>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]