[TowerTalk] Practical Tips?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Practical Tips?
From: (Brian K. Short)
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 23:19:23 +0000
Thanks to those who have provided advice regarding
my planning of an antenna farm.

Unfortunately, I don't feel like I've learned much, though.
I have been reading the ARRL Antenna Handbook and
also the Low Band DX Handbook. I am preparing to put
together some verticals for 80m. One bit of experience
I did pick up is the tendency of other towers etc to mess
up a vertical array.

I have seen clever ideas using wire, but most require a
tower support of 100 feet height. I have followed some
discussions about stacking yagis (take-off angle and the
importance of either/both switching), but have not stumbled
onto a good reference in print?

My present plan is to erect a KLM 7/10-28 LPDA at modest
height 50-80 feet and verticals, though it seems some day a
stack (of tri-banders?) may be desirable.

How does one erect a 100 foot tower? I operate on a budget, so
I'm interested in any surplus etc sources of tower hardware etc?
Where do these things come from? What is the average cost for
a 100 foot tower capable of a modest stack?

Also, any references regarding stacked yagis? Tri-banders?

73, Brian

"Nostalgia is a thing of the past."
Brian Short
(602)839-3484 1994 E Laguna Dr Tempe, Az 85282