[TowerTalk] Long rotor cable run

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Long rotor cable run
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 08:55:27 -0600
Re: Long Rotor Cables

The method I use is to run a regular 8 conductor cable to the base
of the tower.  There I attach an appropriate phase shift capacitor.
(With the capacitor at ground level, I don't have to climb the tower
in January to replace it if it fails!)

For the LEFT, RIGHT, and SOLENOID lines, I use 3 wire house
wiring (#12 or #14).  For the Ground lead, I hose-clamp a wire to
the shield of my CATV hardline.  Any light wire will serve for the
direction indicator pot.

de  Tom  N4KG

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998 08:37:31 -0400 "Jan L. Ditzian"
<> writes:
>I am putting up a tower at the top of my hill, about 600 feet
>from the hamshack.  I do not yet have a rotor, but I wondered if
>others who have faced a distance like this have any
>tried-and-true tricks for powering the rotor at this distance.
>There is no electric power near the tower.
>Does anyone have a recommendation on wire type, power conversion,
>etc.? Cost is an object, but I would like to know what has worked
>in the past.
>Jan, KX2A
>FAQ on WWW:
>Administrative requests:

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]