[TowerTalk] Long rotor cable run

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Long rotor cable run
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:53:32 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-25 08:38:17 EDT, ditzian@greenepa.net writes:

> I am putting up a tower at the top of my hill, about 600 feet
>  from the hamshack.  I do not yet have a rotor, but I wondered if
>  others who have faced a distance like this have any
>  tried-and-true tricks for powering the rotor at this distance.
>  There is no electric power near the tower.
>  Does anyone have a recommendation on wire type, power conversion,
>  etc.? Cost is an object, but I would like to know what has worked
>  in the past.

     Most rotators use a similar scheme for motor control and indicator. Their
operation is sensitive to voltage drop so the proper sized cable is real
important. Hy-Gain recommends the following:

Max. length            Gauge for Terminals 1 & 2        Term. 3-8
125'                             #18
200                               16
20
300                               14
18
500                               12
16
800                               10
14

      If you've got some smaller wire, you can twist multiple conductors
together to give you a 'bigger' wire size.

      The well-known technique of mounting the Hy-Gain starting capacitor
close to the rotator is a good one. I think the Japanese rotators use DC
motors and I'm not sure about the Orion.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC

www.championradio.com    Professional tower supplies and more!