[TowerTalk] B.C. antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] B.C. antenna
From: w7why@mail.coos.or.us (Tom Osborne)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 15:24:04 -0700
Hi gang.
While installing a B.C. radio in my new camp trailer, I discovered
something kinda weird.  I put in a car radio, and ran the coax out to
the tounge of the trailer to hook up a vertical.  The radio worked OK as
I was picking up a bunch of local stations.  In working on it, I dropped
the wire on the ground, and the radio came alive with stations all over
the state, as far as 150 miles away (in the middle of the day).  When I
picked the wire up off the ground, the stations went away.  Dropped it
back and they came booming in again.  What the heck is going on?  It's
way to short for a beverage.  Somehow the earth must be acting like an
antenna.  73
Tom W7WHY