[TowerTalk] rohn hbx56 & 31 foot long 432 antenna

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] rohn hbx56 & 31 foot long 432 antenna
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:00:54 -0600
This is an old message but it points out the foolishness of
using only boomlength as a measure of antenna torque.
For the 432 MHz beam in question, it could also considered
equivalent to a 20M rotatable dipole with ZERO boom length
and a 2 sq ft. wind load.  Would that be too much for HBX 56?

de  Tom  N4KG

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998 12:35:39 EST K7LXC <> writes:
>In a message dated 98-03-22 01:45:07 EST, writes:
>>   I am going to be ading to my tower collection & would
>>  like some input on putting a 31 foot long 432mhz beam on a
>>  rohn hbx56. I know rohn says no boomlengths longer than 10'
>>  but this antenna only has 2 sq. feet of wind load (the
>>  antenna is very offset as far as load though, with the
>>  feedline weight in back you end up with 17 feet of boom in
>>  front & 14 feet in back with the extra windload of 14 feet
>>  of 1/2 inch heliax). I routinely see 60 mph winds here & 80
>>  + happens every couple of years, will the hbx stand up to
>>  the twist this antenna might put on it?
>      First of all, Yellow Medicine County is an 85 MPH windspeed
>      The HBX56 is rated at 10 sq.ft. at 70 MPH. Since you'll be using
>BX-2 section as the top section, it's better than the smaller BX-1 but
>not as
>sturdy as the larger BX-3.
>     A boom this long will generate an appreciable of torque on the
>rotator shelf and then the tower itself. Over time, the rotator shelf
>crack and break. IMO it's too much antenna for the BX-2 section.
>Better to
>lose 8 feet and use the BX-3 as your top section for torque handling.
>still sacrifice the rotator shelf over time but it's an improvement
>over your
>original configuration.
>    You might want to consider a Trylon Titan self-supporting tower or
>guyed tower if you really want it to be reliable.
>73,  Steve  K7LXC
>     TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies and services for
>                                    and US Trylon distributor and Rohn
>FAQ on WWW:
>Administrative requests:

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]