[TowerTalk] Tower Repairs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Repairs
From: terrys@romulus.ncsc.mil (Terry Sharar)
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 19:52:08 -0400
In about two weeks I will begin repairing an HDBX-40 tower that
has been up for about fifteen years. All of the bolts appear to be in
fair condition and the only deterioration appears to be some surface
rust. I will be removing the current antenna and installing a new one,
also I'll be removing the top section, rehabing the rotator, and
installing a thrust bearing.

        Some friends have suggested I install some temporary rope guys
during this work period. The tower is on a heavily wooded lot and
anchoring to a stout tree is no problem. I would like some opinions from
others who have done these same kind of repairs.

73,

Terry Sharar
WB3DSB