[TowerTalk] Re: TOWER TORSION BARS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: TOWER TORSION BARS
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:45:45 -0600

On Wed, 20 May 1998 08:25:07 +0200 Luís Teixeira <ct4nh@mail.telepac.pt>
writes:

>Would like to have your opinions about pratical devices that could be
>installed in a guyed tower to avoid torsion caused by wind.
>snip

>best 73 de Luis, CT4NH

I solved a similar problem on my 130 ft Rohn 35 tower with
the following steps:

1 -  cut a triangular plate (1/4 in thick) slightly larger than the
       tower such that the tips protrude outside the tower legs
       when set inside.   Then cut a round hole for the mast.
       This can serve as an intermediate mast support above
        the rotor.  The plate can be installed one or two steps
        below the guy attachment, depending on how long you
        want the arms to be.

2 - cut some angle aluminum arms (I used 3/8 inch thick
      angle aluminum).  Attach the angle aluminum to the
      triangular plate with two large bolts (3/8 in. or more)
      AND attach the angle aluminum to the tower legs with
      appropriate sized U-bolts.

3 - attach the guy wire to the angle aluminum arms with
      an appropriate sized cable clamp.  I marked my arms
      in place, then brought them to the ground for the
      necessary hole drilling.

Hope this works for you,

de  Tom  N4KG

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]