[TowerTalk] Torsion and masts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Torsion and masts
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 12:30:21 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-03 11:01:08 EDT, ditzian@greenepa.net writes:

> I have been warned that one problem with very long masts used for
>  turning antennas is that there is rotational flexibility in the
>  mast.  By the time one has 50 feet of mast between a rotor (at
>  the bottom of a tower, for example) and the antenna (at the top
>  of the tower, sitting on a thrust bearing) one may expect a fair
>  amount of turning in the breeze, or of lag in alignment between
>  the rotor and the antenna when the rotor turns.  Furthermore,
>  this may result in some whiplashing of the whole system when the
>  antenna is turned and then stopped.

      A long mast like you're describing is essentially a torsion bar that
would absorb and dissipate much of the wind forces on the antenna(s) before it
gets to the rotator. This is a well known phenomena. It's the same thing as a
coil spring but straight instead of wound in a circle.

      I don't think there would be significant whiplashing because the torsion
bar would be dissipating a lot of the forces. We're talking about a steel mast
too.

>  My question is whether wood (for example, 2x4 lumber) would
>  resist this rotational or torsional effect better than round
>  steel pipe or tubing (probably pipe due to cost)?  Assume that
>  there is no weight on the mast (or lumber); the mast simply turns
>  the antenna that is sitting on the thrust bearing that is sitting
>  on the tower.

     SNAP! Wood is strong IF it's the right density and IF there aren't any
knots in it But it's not a suitable tower material. It's okay for purposes of
your example though.

>  Please do not bother to excuse the bandwidth; I wanted to use it
>  and I did.  This submission has been reviewed for correctness of
>  spelling, grammar, and punctuation, but a human being did the
>  review.  The language has been tailored to the expected level of
>  reading ability of a majority of readers of the TowerTalk
>  reflector.  I have attempted to offend the greatest number of
>  readers.  If there are more anti-PC comments that can be made, I
>  cannot think of them.  Your comments in matters related to this
>  final paragraph are best directed to me at ditzian@greenepa.net.
>  Comments on the technical questions are appropriate to
>  TowerTalk@contesting.com.

      Your sarcasm was noted but not necessary. Please refrain from this kind
of personal editorializing in the future. Tnx.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC