[TowerTalk] RE: K8DX Tower Collapse--Conv. wisdom ain't so!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: K8DX Tower Collapse--Conv. wisdom ain't so!
From: n6cr@ix.netcom.com (Dr. Richard W. Musicer)
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 16:11:13 -0500 (CDT)
Sorry for the delay in posting this response, but I just got home from
the greatest hamfest in the world--Friedrichshafen, Germany.  If you
ever get the chance, don't miss it....ham radio is alive and well in
Europe!  My homecoming was somewhat less fun however, as I had lost one
of my towers to a microburst/tree limb falling/broken guy wire routine.
Contrary to what George K3GP wrote:

>The position of the failed tower structure and the antennas on the
>ground are consistent with the conventional wisdom that a failing
>guyed tower will fall within 50% or less of it's height.

It didn't happen this way at my qth.  The 90 feet of Rohn 25 with
205BA/155BA/4 el 10m/G7 was layed out straight for the full length of
the tower.  Two-thirds of the 90 feet in my yard, and the other third
with all destroyed antennas in the neighbors yard.  Not a pretty
picture.  Don't believe the 50% conventional wisdom.

73 de Rick, N6CR in HOTlanta, GA.