[TowerTalk] KLM 40M-4

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KLM 40M-4
From: k4isv@westky.com (Bud)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 01:54:36 -0500
        I have read with intrest the comments regarding the KLM 40-4 !!

YES- this antenna can be a self-destruct device!  I have had 4 of them up
over the years and keep learning with each of them.  Basically, they are an
excellent antenna; gud bandwidwith, good front to back and good gain.  The
problems are mechanical and not electrical!

This antenna can be made to work with some simple modifications.  It takes
some time and just a few bucks to make this thing stay up.  ( I have lost
booms, had the linear loading twist, lexan insulators crack and fail,
baluns explode.... need i say more?)

Presently I am using a full sized 3 ele 40 at 160 ft ( home made) stacked
with a 40M-4 at 70ft.  The combo is excellent... Especially nice to pick
the top/bottom or both.
Nice during contests to use the top almost all of the time with the 40M-4
parked on the Carib...

In brief, If you need some simple info on how to put a 40M-4 together so
that it wont self distruct I will give you some gud advice ( it can be made
to SURVIVE)...

Yes-- the 2 ele Cushcraft is the best for the money!
Yes- the 40M-4 is accident prone ( but it has better bandwitdt, better
front/back and better gain).  So, like we all know, no pain-- no GAIN!

73,

Bud - K4ISV

P.S.  I think I have the "sail" record for a 40M-4... It left the tower at
about 160FT and landed in the yard approximately 210 feet away still
attached to one side of a rohn 25G.... still use the parts!

Have fun guys--- remember this aint life or death!