[TowerTalk] Antenna Tuners Part II

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Tuners Part II
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 11:36:11 -0500
At 08:53 AM 7/9/98 -0700, K5MM wrote:

> Lee:
> Your question is somewhat nebulous, since it's something like asking "What's
> the best car"...
>
> 1. What is your application?  kw, qrp, all bands, only one band, universal
>-- do
>     everything all the time, etc.
>
> Can you narrow down your request a bit?
>
> If you are looking for a typical all-band, kw type matchbox like MFJ sells,
>then
> an answer that KE3Q gave you is the best answer.  Build your own, make it
> usable for all bands including warc, use vacuum variables, make it BIG, use
> Pomona connectors to enable plugging in extra capacitors and inductors if
> needed, use good couhter-dials for the front panel., etc.

Gee you are correct.  I should have given some better information as to why
I want to know.  I always assume people can read my mind...after all...it
isn't all that complicated.

Anyway.....

I have a homebrew tuner that works great.  Uses Millen variable air caps
and a roller inductor in SPC format.  All housed in an old SB200 cabinet.
Works great.  Handles 2 KW.  Very plain jane.  Even is Heathkit Green and
was built to go along with the SB220, SB102, the Speaker, External VFO, SWR
Meter, the Clock/PhonePatch..etc.  Was a snazzy station, but left it for
Kenwood.  I am a universal operator and like just about everything to do on
HF...except packet.  Rather watch paint dry (Flames)

I am looking to update this old buzzard into Y2K with a paint job, but then
I started thinking what other tuners are being used out there that might be
more attractive and also work better than this old tuner I have.

That is why I asked the question about tuners.  So, what are people doing
wiht tuners out there?  The newer stuff or the olders stuff.

Probably, a lot of you will say...get some paint.  But, I would like to
know what other people are using and why they like or dislike what they have.

Lee Buller
k0wa@southiwnd.net