[TowerTalk] holding down radial wires

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] holding down radial wires
From: wmunro@lava.net (warren munro)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 13:40:04 -1000
Hi gang:  A way to easily anchor down ground-level radial wires is to use
what are called "Turf staples" or "Landscape staples" which are large
staple-looking pieces of heavy wire used to secure erosion control fabrics
and the like.

These staples are about 6 inches long and about 1 inch across the top of
the "U" and are made of about 14 ga steel.  Since they are made of unplated
steel, they do rust out fairly quickly, but for the intial anchoring, they
pound into the ground with a few raps on the hammer.  After that the
radials stay pretty well down as grass grows, etc.

Commercially, the staples are available in boxes of 500 or 1000 from such
catalog places as Forestry Suppliers or A.M. Leonard (gardening supplies)
and are hard to find locally unless you find a real turf specialty store.
Cost is about 4 cents apiece.

I have been using about a box or two a year for erosion control and
landscape fabric hold-downs on our property in Washington State so always
have a few extra available for antenna projects - perhaps your nearest golf
course manager would have a small quantity availble, as they deal in this
type of application.

If anyone in the Seattle area or Honolulu (Oahu) area is interested,  I can
provide samples.

73, Warren KH6WM