[TowerTalk] contesting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] contesting
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 14:37:59 -0500
At 04:25 PM 7/13/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi All.
>     I have been reading with interest the IARU scores on 3830.  Sounds
>like things are looking up a bit propagation wise.
>     In looking over the station and antenna layouts, I sometimes wonder
>who has the most fun in a contest, the guy with stacks on all bands and
>2 or 3 radios, or the guy with the longwire and Carolina Windom or trap
>vertical.  Seems like there are some pretty good scores out there with
>some pretty basic stations and antennas.  I'm sure the guy with the
>Windom gets a lot more thrill working a ZL on 40 than the guy with 4
>over 4 over 4.  I have to hand it to some of these guys, they get a lot
>of contacts per DB.  73
>Tom W7WHY

Tom...

You might have opened a discussion that is long overdue.  I've always
contested from a very modest station.  Antenna sthat range from inverted
vees on the low bands, inverted Ls, TH7/6, TA33, 40-2CD, various verticles,
etc.  None of these were above 100 feet...more like 40 to 70 feet.

I took #1 in Multi-op SS SSB in 1981 with a TH6 at 50 foot and a old TH-3
at 40 foot and dipoles.  You can't do that today!  But, it still is a lot
of fun.

Anyway, I've had a ball contesting with these antennas.  Lot of QSOs and
lots of FUN!

Antennas are the edge that can get a win....but operating skills is the
best thing you can hone.

There is a not to be said about this....and maybe it should be on the
contest reflector.

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net