[TowerTalk] BURIED OPEN WIRE LINE

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BURIED OPEN WIRE LINE
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 07:57:53 -0400
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date: Monday, July 13, 1998 10:47 PM

Hi Dave,

> I've got about a 600ft run from my home to my 100' tower.  I would
> appreciate thoughts as to how well open wire would handle being run
> through PVC that was buried under the ground?  I thought I'd put a 4:1
> balun on each end of the open wire and run coax to the shack from one
> end and up the tower from the other.

Most "ladder lines" are very good feedlines for HF, when dry and installed
properly. True open wire is even better.

Always remember the electric and magnetic fields extend well outside this
type of transmission line.

It would be a major undertaking to keep the line spaced well away from the
PVC pipe and dirt outside the pipe. You'd need to keep the dirt and PVC
back about six inches or so from a one inch spaced line, depending on
additional loss that you would consider acceptable.

I'm considering open wire line for a new tower about 1000 feet away, but
only if I homebrew the line using large conductors. I would never consider
any installation except suspension in open air, and a true air insulated
line for long primary feedlines.

73 Tom