[TowerTalk] Forms for tower base

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Forms for tower base
From: brian_smithson@vds.com (Brian Smithson)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 16:01:18 -0400
Hi all!

Forgive the bandwidth for a beginner's question...

I'm planning a free-standing tower install at a QTH I haven't even found
yet.
(Moving from MA to SC). I've been studying the installations documented
in various places on the internet, and I'm confused about building and
handling the form for the base.

It appears from the pictures I've seen that a big hole is dug, a form is
built and suspended in the hole. The concrete is poured and the form
is left in the hole and it is backfilled around the form. I've always heard
that undesturbed earth is the best thing to support something like this,
not backfilled.

What if the form were 'short' - just a couple of feet to square off the top
(visible) part and the rest of the concrete was poured against the bare
undesturbed earth below? Then I'd only be backfilling the top couple of
feet to neaten it up. Is the chunk so big that it doesn't really
matter? Seems like a way to make the form smaller and easier to
handle.

What do you think?

Tnx es 73!

Brian Smithson, N8WRL