[TowerTalk] MFJ259B: Vers. 6F0 vs. 6F1 ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MFJ259B: Vers. 6F0 vs. 6F1 ?
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 08:37:58 -0400
At 07:30 AM 7/16/98 +0100, Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

>Maybe we're being spoiled by these modern slow-tuning transceivers. It's
>perfectly possible to set the 259 to 10kHz at 7MHz, which is closer than
>almost any real antenna system could recognise. There is a slow-motion
>drive built into the tuning capacitor on the 259, and presumably the
>259B is the same. Frequency setting is miles better than the RF-1 - now
>*that* is tricky!

Actually, if you were raised on homebrew superregens, even the RF-1 seems
pretty good, particularly because of the absence of hand-capacity effects.
For me, the small size makes up for taking a little more care with tuning,
and Ian makes a good point about the (lack of) need for more precision-- I
find it a lot handier up on the tower than a bigger unit would be.
73,  Pete Smith N4ZR
In wild, wonderful, fairly rare WEST Virginia