[TowerTalk] meltable guys and lightening

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] meltable guys and lightening
From: mlowell@noclant.navy.mil (Lowell, Mark)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 98 13:16:52 -0400
Jerry Obermeier wrote:

> (snip) I would like to use a relatively
> thin (but sufficiently strong) gage of phyllistran or dacron rope to guy
> the mast rather than using wire cable. (snip)

Jerry,
 I have been using a 20' mast over my house to support 2, 2meter phased
quads. It is guyed with 0.075" diameter kevlar rope that has a woven
dacron cover. It is rated at 500lb breaking strength and is really handy
for such purposes. Our club uses it for 30' and 50' push-up poles for
field day to support wire antennas. A 200 ft spool is 15.95 from
http://www.radioworks.com
 I think Kurt was right on about grounding your mast. Lightning energy
will follow the ground conductor and definitely not your guys.

Mark, N1LO