[TowerTalk] Ground Rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods
From: csudds@probe.net (Chuck Sudds)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 21:54:48 -0500
At 06:15 PM 7/19/98 -0700, you wrote:

Hi Bob!

>Yep, I found 5/8" x 8' ground rods at the Home Depot in Tukwila.
>The galvanized ones were about but under $6 and the
>copper-clads were over $12. I still need to look at other
>sources and see how they're priced; unless these are typical.

I have always been able to buy 5/8" x 8' copper clad ground rods at a local
electrical supply house quite reasonably (about $5.00) Not anything like
Handy Dan or Home Depot, but something like Westside Electric, etc. Home
Depot prices sound ablut the same. Also, you might want to check with your
local electric company as I have been able, in the past, to pick up some
real nice 10' copper rods for free! They are even threaded, with couplers on
the ends, so that you can attach more than one together and have your ground
ron go to deeper depths!
Check it out and good luck!

>Do you know what the pH of the soil is around this area? In Nevada
>it was neutral to slightly alkaline (pH=7~8). This would normally
>call for copper-clad, but if we assume the pH in Seattle is also
>so low on the alkaline side (and that seems a reasonable
>assumption, and the difference between galvanized and
>copper-clad so great, I'm wondering if there really is any
>advantage to going with copper-clad. What's your opinion?
>
>73,
>Bob AA0CY
>

>--

Chuck Sudds  K0TVD