[TowerTalk] Re2. Further Clarification Of Feed System Issues

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re2. Further Clarification Of Feed System Issues
From: hwardsil@WOLFENET.com (Ward Silver)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 19:01:40 -0700 (PDT)

> > David asks:
> >
> > >Is this because once the energy is lost (gone as heat or radiated by the
> > >pre-antenna components) there is no longer anything stimulating a
> mismatch
> > >at the antenna?
> >
> > No,  it is because very high,  many,  many dB of return loss translates
> > to nearly a perfect impedance match through out the system carrying
> > the RF energy. It "means"  the reflected power is many,  many  dB below
> > the forward power on the line,  hence a very high loss is suffered by
> > the return power,  get it?
> >
> > I can give you the timing of all this if you are interested;  consider  a
> > 30 wpm CW "dit":  lasts  about 43 milliseconds.  Several reflection/
> > re-reflection pairs in 100 feet of typical coax  transmission line
> > are all over and done with in only 3 or 4 microseconds!  So neither
> > you nor the guy on the rcv'g end can possibly hear,  nor can the
> > rigs amateurs use, possibly tell anything about this slightly later
> > radiated energy.  The "dit" tone,  after all,  is 43,000 times
> > longer in time duration!  You will never know that these
> > reflection phenomena are occuring,  nor will your rig.
> >
> > All perfectly clear now,  I'll bet,  yeah,  right! 73,  Jim,  KH7M
>
> Actually, much clearer!
>
> So the conclusion becomes, if we grant that loss issues will vary greatly,
> reflected energy due to mismatch is not inherently bad.
>
> Would you say that the issues now center around:
> 1. System loss.

Yes, but it's a composite of the several items that should be addressed
separately.

> 2. Misdirected radiated energy prior to the antenna.

Minor - you would have to have a mighty leaky setup for this to be
significant.

> 3. Strange loads imposed on the antenna.

Eh?  I think you mean imposed "BY" the antenna on the feedline, creating a
non-unity VSWR.  Yes, in that case.

> 4. Strange loads presented to the TX (presumably mitigated by a tuner).

Yes, this can upset the system and incurs some loss.  Usually, this isn't
a problem.

> 5. Harm to components designed for 1500 watts perhaps exposed to bursts way
> over
>     that.

The components are NOT subjected to power greater than that output by the
transmitter finals.  High VSWR results in points where voltage is higher
than in a flat system and where current is higher than in a flat system,
but the power does not go up and down.  The impedance is changing - an in
a system with constant power, that means the voltage and current must
change instead.

> Thanks for helping!  73, DavidC  AA1FA

73, Ward N0AX