[TowerTalk] tower painting, etc

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower painting, etc
From: Bill Jackson" <k9rz@probe.net (Bill Jackson)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 20:53:29 -0500

+AD4-1.  To blend with the sky, what color and type of paint is recommended for
the
+AD4-tower?  I don't want the Rohn white or orange stuff.

Most attempts I have seen to mask a tower by painting aren't worth the
trouble.  I would leave the finish as is.  The galvanizing will eventually
weather to a dull grey which I think blends in better than any paint job.

+AD4-2.  Is the AG2 top section the best fit for a 2+ACI- OD mast?  I will be
using
+AD4-thrust bearing somewhere, depending on if I use an AG4 or AG2 top.

I have the AG4 top section with the matching TB3 thrust bearing, then
another TB3 bearing below it between the top of the section and the rotor
shelf.  This helps keep the mast in place if (when) I have to remove the
rotor for servicing.

+AD4-3.  Is Rohn quality going down?  There is a lot of excess galvanization
+AD4AIg-dripping+ACI- off the z cross members, and most of them are darn
sharp+ACE-  The
tube
+AD4-legs need to be filed-down so they will mesh with the adjoining sections.
Has
+AD4-it always been this way?

I had some excess galvanizing inside the tubing ends of the sections.  It
came off very easily with a little filing.  A word of advice, be sure and
pre-fit the sections on the ground before you start stacking the tower.  I
numbered each section and then fit them together in order, even keeping the
leg orientation the same.  It pays when you're wrestling those tower
sections together at 60 ft+ACE-

+AD4-4.  Is anyone using utility-pole type long (4') fiberglass insulating rods
at
+AD4-the top of their towers?  Could they be treated as pseudo-torqe arms?

No experience on this one.

73 de Bill