[TowerTalk] Switching Controls to Multiple rotors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Switching Controls to Multiple rotors
From: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@cv.tmx.com> (Pat Barthelow)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 10:28:05 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Gary,

        A few months ago, I suggested a locally operated switch solution to the
multiple Rotator box dilemma.  Get an RS-232 AB switch box...Verrry Cheap
at the Computer store for what it is and does...With 25 conductors, you
can parallel groups of conductors to get additional current capacity.  I
have one that switches all 25 wires between two outputs.  Individual hand
soldered wires from each connector to the rotary switch... Let's see....3
x 25
wires, times 2 solder connections per wire....150 connections....Sometimes
less than 10 dollars, retail  on special sales at the stores...I don't see
how they
can do it...someone in China is doing an awful lot of work for very little
money...  Anyway, someone else can offer how to use ham ingenuity to
perhaps put steppers on the rotary switches and a remote control
scheme....Perhaps also, a solution exists with old telco rotary stepper
relays.  The former Ft. Ord STILL uses them in a central office not far
from here.  Several years ago, I visited it...the din of the clattering
relays was incredible.  That CO must have been there since  WW2!

73, DX de Pat, AA6EG/N6IJ
"The Contest Station from the Government"

Marina Amateur Radio Contest Station; N6IJ
599 DX Drive
Marina CA 93933

aa6eg@tmx.com