[TowerTalk] Incredible Snail Mail -- from Brune !!?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Incredible Snail Mail -- from Brune !!?
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 20:48:22 -1000
Today,  by snail mail, from Dallas Tx,  I receive a letter
from Walter B. Bruene,  W5OLY !!

Picking a school ground fight? Digging for dirt from the
past?  You decide.  How should I answer this guy's letter.
Probably NO answer is correct.

He writes,  an exact quote:

" Dear Jim,                                              July  31,  1998

"Got your address from our previous correspondence
in mid 1992.

"This letter is in regard to your posting on CQ-Contest
Refl.Pwr. in Coax and Truth, 12 Jan 95.

"I hope that my response in Spring '98 Communications
Quarterly to Maxwell et. al.  "Bruene bashing" article in Fall
'97 Communications Quarterly clears up and puts an end
to that debate."

[Note here:  I have NO Idea what this guy is writing about!!
I have not subscribed to CQ Quart in a long time.  However,
in Dayton in May,  I did sign up to subscribe again,  though
have gotten no issues since coming home to Kauai.]

He continues:

"The ARRL has now removed all of Maxwell's conjugate
match material from the current editions of the ARRL
Handbook  and the ARRL Antenna Book."

[Why,  I wonder?]

"In regard to your posting on  REFLECTED POWER
STAYS IN THE COAX    you state "Well, I was taught that
one watt of power resulted when one ampere of current
flows through a 1 ohm resistor for one second."

[I am not sure that I posted that,  but I DO believe that
is what I learned,  except for the part about the reflected
power staying in the coax,  that is NUTS!!  but read on!]

"I was also taught that one JOULE of energy (one watt-second)
was dissipated when one ampere flowed through a 1 ohm
resistor for one second.  Joules are units of energy while watts
are the rate of flow of energy."

[Yes,  I recall learning that in Physics 101 back in 1952!]

"Reflected power just circulates back and forth in the coax -
IT DOES NOT ACCUMULATE.  It is like reactive  power
circulating in a tank circuit."

[Note:  Where did Bruene get the idea I thought reflected
power stayed in the coax,  circulated and accumulated??
See anything I ever  posted which said this;  I think NOT!]

He continues:

"It  would be technically more accurate to say that it is the
reflected Joules that circulate back and forth,  because
a rate-of-flow can't circulate.  the Joules circulating can
be computed from reflected power and the electrical
length of the coax.  Consider 500  watts of reflected
power and 300 meters of coax.  It takes 1 microsecond
for RF to travel from one end of the coax to the other.
Therefore,  one round trip takes 2 us.

    "J=500(0.000002)=0.001 Joules  "

[I hope I counted and
put in the same number  of 0's that Bruene used! He didn't
bother to state what velocity factor he was using, either!]

"of circulating energy.  That is all that accumulates in the coax.

"Your face must be pretty red by now from embarrassment so
I suggest that you remove that posting from the Internet.  I am
not on the Internet but it is rather shocking that no one has
caught your error  before.

Sincerely and 73,

Warren"

WOW!  My face should be red!  What is this guy talking about?   Does
he often go searching around for something to pick a nit about??
This is so weird I don't believe it!!  He is not on the Internet,  but he
goes about and around looking,  or fabricating stuff to fight about
from the Internet!

Enough;  this guy has been  trying to destroy Walt Maxwell for years,  and
now he is coming after me.  He must need some help.

Can anyone find anywhere that I have ever posted what Bruene claims?
Obviously not.  Just look at any of my previous postings,  nowhere
did I or would I assert the stuff he claims!

I feel no need at all to answer his snail mail letter!  My gosh,  what does
he live for??  I will send a copy of his letter to me to anyone requesting
it.

73,  Jim,  KH7M