[TowerTalk] Loos

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Loos
From: N2NU@aol.com (N2NU@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 15:48:59 EDT
I thought about this one before I bought the gauge from Champion... Here's my
reasoning on why I believe that the gauge shoud read correctly...  Actually I
would like someone to check my reasoning, so ok, you physicists...

The gauge measures the force necessary to deform (bend) the guy wire between
the two pins.  How hard this is should be dependent on the tension only (I
think, since you shouldn't be able to stretch your guys!).  The only other
variable would be your ability to crush the guy wire, which shouldn't be an
issue in either case.  I believe that Phillystran would give an erroneously
low reading for this reason because it will crush and appear to be "thinner"
as you try to bend it around the two pins.  Shouldn't be a problem for most of
us since we normally put some ehs at the bottom of the guys anyway..

Of course the absolute accuracy of the device depends on the spring, and the
nylon spacers on the pins (if they wear, you will read lower than real
tension).  Steve if you are going to do a test, you might hang a known weight
on the spring and let us know the reading.  Then the rest of us can do the
same with ours to see what the variation in the springs end up being.

I take no responsibility for this analysis, but it made me feel better anyway!
Comments?