[Fwd: [TowerTalk] Parting comments]

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Fwd: [TowerTalk] Parting comments]
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:34:26 EDT
In a message dated 8/7/98 12:09:06 AM Central Daylight Time,
ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us writes:

<< The aramid cable stretches more than steel for a given size. But the
negative
 effect of excessive sag might offset the stretch. Have to do some head
scratching
 to figure out how to evaluate it. My initial thought is that the relationship
 between sag and tension load remains fairly constant. Not necessarily linear.
The
 guy should still be able to exert a higher reacting lod on the tower, when
still
 bent in the catenary shape. The small amount of straightening will allow more
 deflection. >>

I believe that one of the major advantages of the aramid guys is the enormous
weight reduction over steel cable. Has anyone ever calculated and published
the plus delta in allowable load on Rohn tower when synthetic guy cable is
used?

I also highly endorse the torque arm stabilizer assembly for the top of any
tower with a reasonable load. I have a TA45 on my 70' Rohn 45 tower because of
the erratic ridge winds we have from the eastern Sierra's. It really added
significant stability and rigidity to the tower.

Tom, K5RC/7