[TowerTalk] Towers & Trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Towers & Trees
From: csudds@probe.net (Chuck Sudds)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 14:15:15 -0500
At 02:07 PM 8/10/98 +0000, you wrote:

I was just going to make this same comment, Barry! Whilesome of us are
fortunate to not have to worry about trees and limbs falling on our guys, we
also suffer from the lack of supports for our Low Band wire antennas! I live
right smack in the middle of about 10,000 acres of corn fields, near the
Western edge of Iowa, and there are very few trees around here at all. I am
fortunate to have one tall (80ish foot) tree on the Southeast corner of my
property, about 250 away from my new 80ft tower. I definitely plan to make
use of this one asset! All the other trees are short (30ft) pines used as a
windbreak along part of the North side of my property and useless for any
antennas

>Open fields have their downside too.  My house and tower are on what
>was a cornfield. Every tree there I paid for. It's nice not hassling
>with trees for the tower, but supporting wires is a problem. I run a
>600 ft Beverage acorss an open field, attached to the tower on one end,
>and a "weed tree" on the other. I use  10 ft PVC pipe sections to
>support it along its length.
>Barry Kutner, W2UP

Chuck Sudds  K0TVD
Missouri Valley, Iowa USA