[TowerTalk] Was "antenna decisions"-- on a hill side!! With vines and tr

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Was "antenna decisions"-- on a hill side!! With vines and trees, too!
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 10:28:08 -1000

-----Original Message-----
From: Dick Green <dick.green@valley.net>

<-----!!!

>5) Run up and down steep hill each time steps 1-4 are attempted (dozens of
>trips in all.)

Ok,  this post seems to tell me I also could have an array on 40 on a hill
side!!
I believed such arrays had to be on level ground to operate as expected.
What a shock this is to learn.

I have the hill side,  and plenty of room;  just a lot of wild guave,
mango,
and hau trees and  lots,  and lots of vines to clear,  should I decide to
proceed,   hmmmmm.

Have already decided NOT to use a flame thrower as some one
way "down South" mainland suggested;  but maybe something
called "Monocide" is suggested  to work faster and better than
RoundUp.  Have given up on protecting the environment of
this particular hillside of jungle,  hi.  There is plenty more
around here!

But,  again,  how come these arrays will work on a "steep hill
side"?  May open a whole new world of antenna farm possibilities.
The big V-beam array I put up a year ago did not work,  I assume
because the hill side near me,  goes on down,  then back up
the otherside,  some 300 or 400 feet away.  Appears no
beams could form because of the valley ravine over which the
600 foot long V wire legs were strung.
So,  I now have monoband verticals on this near side of the
top of my hill slope.  Is there a max slope/grade down which
one should not try arrays??  I think a 100 foot grade drop
in 100 foot of horizontal distance is a slope of 45%,  but
not sure;  might be called double that,  or even 100%.

73,  Jim,  KH7M