[TowerTalk] MFJ-259 as a signal generator

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MFJ-259 as a signal generator
From: stan@capeonramp.com (stan)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 11:11:34 -0400
Hi Dale,

I originally used my MFJ259 as a marker generator with a HP-141T
spectrum analyzer. The MFJ is a failrly clean and continuously tunable
signal source.  The frequency counter was reasonably accurate
and allowed me to tune a receiver to the signal of interest. I used a
variable attenuator between the MFJ and the SA to knock down the
amplitude. I do, not think the output of the MFJ is constant over its
entire range, but once you benchmark amplitude performance, you
could use a external calibrated attenuator  for other cable insertion
loss tests.

The S-meter may be too coarse to make the measurements you need.

Stan, WA1ECF   Cape Cod, MA   FN41sr