[TowerTalk] More KT34XA troubleshooting info

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] More KT34XA troubleshooting info
From: csudds@probe.net (Chuck Sudds)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 16:12:03 -0500
At 09:46 PM 8/10/98 -0700, you wrote:

Hi Jim!

>Since the temperature promised to exceed 100 degrees today, it seemed
>like an ideal day to take off work and go out into the blazing sun to
>work on a bad KT34XA.

In TRUE ham spirit. Hey! Did you know that back here in the ice and snow
belt that if you erect your beam in sub-zero weather you gain an additional
2-3db?? <G>

>One thing I didn't mention was there were the #6 sheet metal screws
>applied into the elements as others had suggested as a way to
>"bulletproof" those mechanical connections.  The screws were all tight,
>but the connection had failed anyway.  I guess nothing is foolproof.

I would rather use rivets here. Although I never had a problem with those
screws, I did have a problem with the small sheet-metal screws that held the
element mounting straps in place! Two of mine worked loose and I had to
replace them with a much more substantial sized screw. No problems after
that.... until the 103mph straight-kine winds took it down ;)

Chuck Sudds  K0TVD
Missouri Valley, Iowa USA
   Heartland DX Association

http://www.probe.net/~csudds/  or