[TowerTalk] Guyed 45G Tower - Sanity Check

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guyed 45G Tower - Sanity Check
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy L. Olinger)
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 20:14:41 GMT
This is one area where I have never been able to reach a comfort
level, and am currently trying to see how to get my configuration up
on a quite shorter self-standing tower. It has it's own set of
problems, and forces a very spartan, very closely planned
installation, which is making me old before my time trying to get real
answers. (See other posts, they are almost all related to this vs
guyed in some way.)

Can one use double 7/16 to the top of 100-130' of Rohn 55 and have it
weather tree falls, given adequate guy anchors? I would run double 1
inch if I thought the tower would handle it, and it would handle a
tree. Not sure what kind of insulators to break up lengths of 1"
though.

There is an awful lot of stuff in the archives around about towers
taken down by trees. Does anyone have the answer to how to put up
guyed towers in a forest?

Or put another way, if I drop a two ton weight on a guy wire from a
distance of twenty feet above, will tower/guys survive? According to
breaking points, etc, what is the largest weight that will bounce off
without taking the tower down?

73, Guy

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 12:58:17 EDT, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 98-08-24 12:39:04 EDT, darrell.earnshaw@sap-ag.de writes:
>
>> [3] A recent exchange of mail on this reflector addressed the issue of
>> "safety" guys, or 6-way guying. Although I have a tree company scheduled
>> in the next few weeks to remove trees and limbs that are either in the
>> way or overhang the anticipated guy anchors and guy paths, I am still
>> concerned of other trees nearby being a potential risk. In the past
>> there has been no husbandry or the trees on my lot or the adjacent lots,
>>
>> and thus there are a lot of large, old trees. (It's quite disconcerting
>> to lie in bed and hear the crash as giant limbs fall somewhere "in the
>> forest".) Would extra guys in addition to the main guys make sense, and
>> if so, what configuration should I consider? Extra guys just at one
>> level, or at all levels?
>
>     Top level only for 6-way guying is fine. There's no need for more lower
>on the tower. W7XR had an alder

What size was this tree?

> land on his EHS double-guyed 40M tower. It
>stretched the guys somewhat but no damage other than that. I don't know if
>branches landing on the Phillystran will be a big problem or not.
>
>Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC
>
>Champion Radio Products

Guy L. Olinger
k2av@qsl.net