[TowerTalk] hitch-hiking

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] hitch-hiking
From: JHFitzJr@aol.com (JHFitzJr@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 10:28:52 EDT
I have done a fair amount of tower climbing and some mountain climbing (up to
19,000 ft in South America). I ALWAYS keep the lanyard around the tower. A
slip or misstep even 6 ft off the ground can result in a serious injury (a
friend of mine broke his leg falling 4 feet from a step ladder several years
ago).  The LD50 ( a medical term meaning lethal dose 50 percent - the "dose"
of a drug or toxin at which 50 per cent of those given it will die) for
uncontrolled falls is 30 feet. With a lanyard on, if you slip of fall, you
will not fall away from the tower - you will most likely be able to grab
something, or even in an uncontrolled fall, something, an arm, leg or piece of
equipment will likely catch and stop you, especially if you are above the
lowest set of guys. As`they say, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the
sudden stop at the bottom. I use 2 lanyards, so when going around the guys,
side mounted antennas, etc., I loop one over the obstruction, and then unclip
the lower one. I am NEVER free climbing. I always clip into the tower when I
reach my working level.  I would also not recommend using "S" hooks to aid
climbing, as they are open, and can slip off the tower. Use spring clipped
hooks or gated carabieners (my choice - they're cheap, and made to take
falls).Yes, it slows you down, it takes me about 10 min to get to the top of
my 90 ft of Rohn 45, around 2 sets of guys, and 2 side mounted antennas.
What's the hurry ? You have a long time to live, death is forever. I know some
tower riggers free climb, but remember, they're professionals, do this daily,
are in shape for it, and have the knowledge and skill to do it. We amateurs
who climb only a few times a year, if that, are not in nearly the same
category. I am an anesthesiologist at a very busy trauma center, and I see the
results of uncontrolled falls - generally from roofs and ladders - quite
often. It ain't pretty.

73

Jim WI9WI