[TowerTalk] Hazer winch help needed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hazer winch help needed
From: w5rz@troi.csw.net (Dennis Schaefer)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 20:13:43 -0500
I ordered a "brake winch" from the Hazer folks for my Hazer H-4 system.
The model number is BW-8001 and it is the one they recommended for Rohn 25G.

I thought the brake winch would be best because they say:
"Brake winches have a friction brake which automatically applies a
constant, positive holding action. The load remains exactly in position
when the handle is released. Requires a minimum load."

When I got the winch today, I put some rope on it and tested it.  The brake
mechanism was not visibly apparent, and I also did not seem to get any
braking action when the rope was tied off to a tree and I let it out while
holding tension on it.

The winch has DL-1100 stamped on the side of it.  Their plain winch,
without braking, is a W-1100.  My invoice says I have a BW-8001, but I am
beginning to wonder if maybe a shipping error occurred.  Maybe someone with
a Hazer system can tell me more information about the winches and what it
takes to activate braking.  There was no documentation included in the
package and none beyond what I have stated in this message on the Glen
Martin web site.

I am not sure what the "minimum load" specified is.  Maybe I'm just not
putting enough tension on it to cause the braking to take effect.  I know
it is best to call the mfr. with questions like these (and I will on Monday
if the problem isn't solved by then), but it is Friday evening, antenna
work is planned for the weekend, and the contest season is rapidly
approaching!

Thanks, 73,
Dennis   W5RZ